The movie Cinema Paradiso is an Italian film made in the year 1988 by Guiseppe Tornatore. Through the movie I was able to understand a little more about Italian culture. The movie wasn't very great, but still I learned a few things that I didn't know before about Italians. I am not sure whether this is true or not, but the movie showed that Italians are movie lovers, and that neighborhoods would often have movie theaters near by, even in the 1980's. Through the movie we also see that family is a keep aspect of the Italian culture. The Italians are a close knit people who are value friendship very much. Alfredo was essentally Salvatore's advisor and mentor, and throughout the movie their relationship gets stronger and stronger even when a fire occurs and causes Alfredo to go blind. Also we see the aspect of heroism in the fact that when everyone was leaving the scene where the fire was taking place, Salvatore steps up as a young kid and goes up to save his friend. Love is also always present in the Italian culture. We see when the Italians would meet and greet they would often kiss each other on the cheek, and Alfredo himself even wants to see his young friend succeed even if it meant that it'll be breaking his heart.
The movie essentially tells the story of Salvatore looking back on his life in a small village in Sicily and his life growing up and admiring film making/showing, along with the impact of his good friend Alfredo. Salvatore's father had died in World War two,and he never had a father figure except for Alfredo who teaches him about film showing. Alfredo advises Salvatore all throughout his life. Then Salvatore meets a young girl named Elena, but has to go off to war, and their relationship is strained because her father disapproves. After coming home from war, Alfredo tells Salvatore to leave the small village and pursue his dreams elsewhere, and to never look back or write back to his love ones in the village. Salvatore obeys, and never returns until now hearing about Alfredo's death.
Overall I wasn't a big fan of the movie, but it was definately better than the previous Italian movie we saw. Similarities between my life and the movie include the fact that I also like watching movies, and find it amusing relaxing and viewing movie with friends and family. Differences include the fact that I am Nigerian and not Italian, thus I cannot speak Italian. However cultural similarities are that love exist between me and family and those I consider friends. I also have a mentor just like Salvatore had a mentor in Alfredo.

No comments:
Post a Comment