Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mongolian Ping Pong



Mongolian Ping Pong the movie is a movie about a young Mongolian boy would finds a ping pong by a small water source and goes on a search to discover what it is, and why he has it. The boy and his family lives on a large grassland far away from the city. He finds the ball and later finds out that the ball is the national ball of China. The movie itself gives and shows us background about the Mongolian people. We see the family structure of the Mongolians, with three generations alive and healthy living in the same hut. There living situation is humbling compared to where I live. However we see that the family enjoys life and our happy with what they have. We also see western influences upon the lives of the family members with the father acquiring a television and coffee to drink in the mornings. The family also builds a new more western abode at the end of the movie, to the displeasure of the grandmother, who was used to the former living situation of her family and culture. Overall I wasn't a fan of the movie, because it really didn't appeal to me, also it was very slow and lacked a true plot. It was just a story of a boy finding a ball and essentially doing nothing with it but calling it a shining pearl to the amazement of his friends. However through it all I guess I did get to see how some Mongolians live, or at least how they are portrait. The people in the movie rarely showed any emotions, I don't understand why, maybe its the Mongolian culture or maybe its just how the actors act.
I guess I'm not a fan of Mongolian films, but like with anything in life, its great to get different perspective and see different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment